I’ve found this recipe online and I’ve been very happy with it. Every dish I made with it came out great. If you can read Russian, just go ahead and read it. Since I don’t have a large steamer (like the author), I just boil all the ingredients. Here’s my version of the recipe:
– 8 cups water (add more if you got a lot of stuff)
– 1-2 medium yellow onion, quartered
– 3 garlic cloves
– 2-3 bay leaves
– 2-3 medium carrots, sliced in big chunks lengthwise
– 2-3 celery stalks
– 250g (8 ounces) white mushrooms, quartered
– 300-400g (10-14 oz) white cabbage, roughly chopped
– 1 tsp salt
– 1 tsp good quality green tea
Bring all the ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. Strain the vegetables.
I usually then freeze the broth in 2 cup worth containers.
Last time I was out of cabbage, but the broth still turned out very flavorful. Once you start making your own broth, you’ll never go to store bought one again. Well, in my case, it’s not even available =)